Thursday, February 22, 2018

SignPost Thursday to Sunday, Week 2—Everything is Beautiful

Psalm 22:23-31

I lost my eyesight for the first time when I was nine years old. I was able to see for the second time when I was eighteen. After getting my sight back, I discovered that psychologically seeing was much more difficult than not seeing.

One of the things I discovered when I got my sight back is that beauty is learned. It doesn’t take long to learn the difference between what is beautiful and what is not (i.e. what is ugly), but still beauty and ugliness are sighted inventions.

Having said that, there a few things that I have seen that have given me a sense of awe and amazement. I have experienced a visceral reaction of wonder and peace, with the wish that I could preserve what I saw for the future.

One day, driving on Freedom Road, I came over a rise and started to turn. As I turned, I happened to look over the edge of the hill. There I saw this picturesque valley. There was a haze rising like a fragile cloud. The sun was shining through, illuminating a variegated green valley. A tractor was pulling a wagon on the farm road, and trees framed a farmhouse and barn. What an amazing picture of abundance for the world.

I parked the truck and stopped to look for almost fifteen minutes. Not another vehicle passed. When I realized that I had parked in the middle of the road, I decided that I should move along. I got back into the truck and drove to my next appointment, thanking God for the beauty of our earthly easel. Truly God has done it all!

Prayer
Lord, by your word you speak abundance and peace. Help us tell the story of abundance for all people. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment