Friday, February 16, 2018

Day 3: Friday, Week 1—The Ticket


Daniel 9:15-25a; 2 Timothy 4:1-5

We were late so I was trimming time with the accelerator in our 1984 Encore. As I accelerated from the first stop sign, I heard a grinding noise. Was it serious? Did I need to stop immediately or could we go on?

I speeded up; I speeded up more and then decelerated. No noise. Then I heard it again. I pulled into the next driveway to take a look. As I did so, I noticed flashing lights in my rear view mirror.

As I got out of the car to check, the officer told me to get back in and wait. The officer came up and explained to me that he was pulling me over because of erratic driving. “Please step out of the car for a sobriety test.” I explained; he informed; etc., etc..

At traffic court six weeks later, I pleaded my case. “If he was going to stop me for erratic driving and speeding, why didn’t he stop me right away? And, considering extenuating circumstances (I produced the receipt for the torn CV boot repair), could the court show some leniency?” My fine was reduced; fewer points were assessed; but, in the end, I had to plead guilty in order to receive the reduced sentence.

Today, Daniel’s prayer pleads for leniency while recognizing the people’s sin. God responds with restoration to full relationship following a time of accountability. We are all guilty of something, some time. We, however, do need to hold ourselves accountable for what we have done. Then we can ask for leniency and pardon for those things we have done. Aren’t we glad that God is willing to forgive?
Prayer
Lord, there are times when we become so focused on ourselves that we forget about our relationships with you and one another, and so we come seeking mercy. We have sinned against you in thought, word and deed; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. Have mercy on us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment