Saturday, February 17, 2018

SignPost Saturday 1—I’m Late

Psalm 32

It was one of those days. I was running late for a doctor’s appointment forty-five miles away.

We had just gotten new tires on the car. Clearly this was the time to discover how well they performed. As we came through some sweeping turns at a slightly elevated speed, we were impressed by the gripping action of the new tires.

Then I noticed blue flashing lights behind us. As the squad car pulled in behind us, I pulled out my wallet and reached into the glove box for our registration. I thought, “I hope this doesn’t take too long. Maybe I can still make the appointment, a little late.”

When I looked up, the officer at my window asked, “Do you know how fast you were going?”

“Not really,” I responded.

She informed me, “I clocked you at 85 around that last 50 mile per hour turn. Are you trying to get to a doctor’s appointment or something?” she asked.

“Yes,” I responded, “I’m running late.” She asked for the doctor’s name and number. She called to confirm that I did indeed have an appointment and informed them that I might be a little late because of an incident on the highway.

Following the call, she said, “I’m giving you an early Christmas present. This is just a warning. The next time I see you on this road, you had better be driving at or below the speed limit. Merry Christmas. I hope your appointment goes well.”

Prayer

Lord, we get so wrapped up in our own lives and then act rashly without concern for safety. We forget your loving hand of care and restraint. Help us be mindful of those around us and to take time in your loving arms. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment