Monday, February 26, 2018

Day 11: Monday, Week 2—Nothing Left to Lose

Genesis 21:1-7; Hebrews 1:8-12

The first truck I owned was a hunk of junk. Many parts had been replaced. The speedometer didn’t work; even the radio was out of commission. There were holes in the floorboards you could fall through. There was more Bondo than steel on the body; and I used piano wire to hold the sides of the bed together enough to get the tail gate to latch. The mirror frames were so rusted that strapping tape held the mirrors in place. I called it Bobby McGee, because “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose;” or so I thought.

I knew the day had come to replace the truck the day. I rolled over a rough railroad crossing. While sitting at the next stop light, I noticed a man running up alongside of the cars that were stopped. He was waving and holding something in his hand.

As he came alongside of me, he slapped the side of my truck to get my attention. In his other hand, he had a foot square piece of metal.

“If you’re going to drive a piece of junk like this,’ he said, ‘at least have the decency to go back and pick up the pieces you leave behind. This thing is a menace to any one driving behind you.”

He handed me the piece of my truck that had fallen off when I bumped over the railroad crossing and went back to his car. That night I started looking in the classifieds for another truck.

Hebrews reminds us that earthly things are corruptible; trucks may come and trucks may go, but God’s authoritative word and promise is forever.

Prayer
Lord, we give you thanks for your constancy and your eternal caring. In your righteousness we are perfected and in your kingdom we live in your own time forever. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment