Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Day 1: Ash Wednesday—Ambassadors

Isaiah 58:1-12; 2 Corinthians 5:20-6:10; Matthew 6:1-21

I grew up in Kenosha, Wisconsin. My family was strongly connected to “the plant”: Nash Motors and then American Motors (which eventually became Chrysler); this was my introduction to cars.

The first car I remember is the 1951 Nash Ambassador. I was four when I asked my grandfather why they named it Ambassador. He said at first, “It’s just a name.”

My grandfather was a serious man. When I asked again, he understood my inquisitiveness to be a real desire to learn, not just idle childish questions. This is something like the answer I got that day: “Ambassadors are people who go to other countries. They are representatives of our country, and they let other people know how nice we are. They are supposed to represent the best and most important things about us. The Nash Ambassador represents the best work and the best car Nash makes. When we drive our Ambassador, we tell everyone that we support the best work Nash does.”

Today’s reading tells us that we are ambassadors for Christ. We represent the best that God has for the world in all that we do. Our ambassadorship involves all that we will encounter in life. We do not choose when to be God’s ambassador (“Today I’ll do it” or “I don’t feel like it today”), because we are God’s ambassador in everything we do and say. God has marvelously made us, and every day is a day to be God’s ambassador.

Prayer
Lord, as we go into your world: in school, in playgrounds, at work, at the mall, and driving down the road, help us remember that we are marvelously made. We are your ambassadors of excellence and hope. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment