Monday, February 19, 2018

SignPost Monday to Wednesday, Week 1—Thanksgiving

Psalm 77

It was Thanksgiving break at seminary. I could go home to Madison, ninety miles, as soon as I handed in a paper. I had stayed up most of the previous night finishing the paper. Now I needed to proof read and print the darn thing.

Although there was a snowstorm coming from the west, as I handed the paper in and went back to my apartment to shower and pack a few things, the sun was still shining. I wasn’t overly concerned about the storm. When I got into the car and started for home, I felt good. My work was done for the weekend. I had even taken a few extra minutes to do some cleaning before I left.

As I left, I looked out to the west and thought that maybe I should have left sooner. The roads were still dry, however, and, although the clouds looked ominous, I would be driving away from the storm. Along the way, I stopped for a burger and some much-needed coffee. The first flakes of snow started to fall before I was halfway home. In the next few minutes, the weather couldn’t decide what it was going to do. There was thunder and lightning with freezing rain, then there was sleet that changed back to rain. The road was still good, but it was getting slushy. Ten more miles and it decided to start snowing for serious.

It was very wet snow that sticks to the wipers and headlights. Slowly the road started to disappear. I slowed down. The road was getting slippery. I couldn’t see the difference between the road and the ditch. I noticed that not only were the wipers clogging, but also the windshield was fogging up. I turned up the heat and the fan on the defroster. Then I noticed that the car was getting colder.

At an overpass, I stopped to check the radiator and discovered that the thermostat had died. I cleared the wipers and the windshield and wiped off the lights. Again, the windshield started fogging. I found a bunch of napkins left from lunch and started wiping the inside of the windshield. I had been down shifting; finally, I was in first gear, traveling about 5 mph with my flashers on. I kept thinking that I was going to go into the ditch then I would see another reflector pole and then another mile marker. I kept thinking, “God, I hope you know where I am because I haven’t a clue.

I planned on stopping at the next town. “Thank God,” I thought when I finally saw lights on the horizon. As the lights got brighter, I noticed that the snow was letting up. Suddenly I could see the road and, with great amazement, I saw that I was in the middle of my lane. Soon the snow had stopped, and I drove safely into Madison for Thanksgiving.

“Next time,” I thought, “I’m going to wait longer or start earlier.” In the meantime, I was glad to be alive. I felt delivered from truly distressful circumstances.

Prayer
Lord, how small our accomplishments seem when compared to the forces of your world. Yet, you have chosen to save us, even from our own foolishness so we give you thanks for your handiwork and compassion. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment