Thursday, February 15, 2018

Day 2: Thursday, Week 1—Drivers’ Ed

Daniel 9:1-14; 1 John 1:3-10

When all of my friends were getting their driver licenses, I was still blind. After I got my sight back, I needed a few years to get used to the idea of being sighted and needed to learn about spacial relationships before driving. I was 27 years old before I was licensed.

One day, I went to the Department of Transportation, picked up a Motorist Handbook, got my temporary license, and signed up for a class at the vocational school. The teacher was preparing us to be defensive drivers. Standing before the class, he told us, “Not only do you need to be constantly aware of road conditions and where you are going, but you need to be prepared for all of the other drivers who are not. When you meet one of those drivers who is not as attentive as he or she should be, do not honk your horn immediately. First, remember that you have probably done the same thing at some time. Then, be glad that you were prepared enough to avoid the traffic problem.”

The teacher then went on to tell us that he never seemed to be aware of how many idiots were on the road until his wife was in the car. “Apparently,” he said, “I have gotten judgmental and feel the need to correct other people’s driving as a result of teaching because my wife keeps telling me things like, ‘You know they can’t hear you, don’t you?’ After we all laughed, he continued, “Remember everyone makes mistakes on the road; even the best drivers. So, be aware, slam on your brakes, and wave.”

Today’s lesson reminds us that we always walk in the presence of the Father and the Son. That relationship of God’s presence puts us in relationship with so many more. It is not a relationship without errors. We each make our share. So let us be kind to one another along the way.

Prayer
From excessive speed, rolling stops, inattentiveness, and judgmentalism, Almighty God deliver us. Help us to learn graciousness in all that we do. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment