Saturday, February 17, 2018

Day 4: Saturday, Week 1—Follow Me

Matthew 9:2-13

Driving through northern Illinois one beautiful spring afternoon, I was busy noticing tractors in the fields, flocks of birds flying north, the green of spring grass along the road. I was not paying attention to the signs warning of road construction ahead. Suddenly I realized that the line of cones in the road meant that I was not going to get on the bypass around Rockford. Getting off at the exit, I decided that I could find my way through Rockford.

Minutes later, I was hopelessly lost amid one way streets all going the wrong direction. The quality of housing deteriorated as I came to one business park after another. Finally I happened upon a shipping yard of a company that looked still active.

At the office, I asked for directions back to the Interstate. “Where are you headed?” the manager asked me.

When I responded, “East of Elgin,” he said, “There’s been a big accident up there. Let me think about how you should go.”

A truck driver picking up papers said, “He’ll never find his way out of here if he doesn’t know the roads.” Looking at me, he said, “Follow me. I’m going to Elgin. You know your way from there, right?” As I pulled in behind him and followed through the maze of one-way streets onto Highway 20, I was truly grateful for his guiding.

Today we find Matthew lost in the predicament of being a tax collector; subject to government officials for particular sums, needing to make a living, and despised by the people from whom he collected the taxes. Clearly, all of his roads were one-way going the wrong direction. Into this mess, Jesus says, “Follow me.”

Prayer
Lord, we are tempted to find our own ways, and then we get lost. Thank you for showing us the way to your kingdom. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment