Friday, March 30, 2018

Sermon for Maundy Thursday—Keys to the Kingdom

We have been given the keys to the kingdom. In each of the Gospels, Jesus gives the keys of the kingdom to his disciples. In each of the instances, the purpose of the keys is the opportunity for forgiveness. Yet, if we don’t use the keys, or if we use the wrong keys, this office is either inappropriately demonstrated or the office completely fails to address the needs of the world around us.

As a pastor, I am sometimes asked to officiate at funerals of non-members. On one such occasion I was running a little late. My wife had taken the car; therefore, I was using my old truck. It was sometimes touchy and not always the most reliable means of transportation, but earlier in the day I had gone out and made sure that everything was running.

So when I put the key into the ignition when it was time to leave, I was surprised that the key wouldn’t even turn. This had happened several times before, so I didn’t immediately panic, but after I did everything I knew to solve the problem and still nothing happened, I started to worry. How was I going to get to the funeral home in time for the funeral?

After several more vain efforts, I finally started to get out of the truck. I was going to have to admit defeat. Maybe I could call a cab.

As I pulled the keys out and started to put them in my pocket, I noticed something strange. The orange fob on the key ring was blue. With a gasp of recognition, I realized that I had been trying to put the car keys in the truck. When I actually put the truck keys in the truck ignition, the engine roared to life, and I made it to the funeral home in plenty of time.

Sometimes we have to remember to use the keys that we have been given, not just any key that happens to come to hand. The keys to the kingdom open the way to a life of forgiveness or they block the way. The disciples ask how many times must we forgive, seven times?

Jesus’ response is somewhat challenging for us today, because we live in a more literalistic time, but Jesus’ response is more like forever. He says seventy times seven, or seventy and seven, or even seventy-seven times. It is important for us to remember that in Jesus’ time, they had no zero so numbers are more metaphorical in literature like this. The number of times Jesus mentions then is more like as many times as you are asked.

Still the keys come with the admonition: “If you forgive the sins of others they will be forgiven, but if you do not forgive, the sins of the person will be held against them forever.” There are times when I do not want to forgive, but really, if they come to you for forgiveness, can you really deny them?

In my first congregation there had been some difficulties. I was hurt, even angry. On Ash Wednesday at the time for the imposition of ashes, it felt good to tell the people that they were going to return to dust. Then this little girl came forward. She had not been part of the conflict. So when she came forward to receive the sign of the cross in ashes, and she looked up at me with those little-girl-trusting-eyes, I almost came unglued.

And then on Maundy Thursday, when we had the opportunity for individual absolution, she came forward with her mother. Again she looked at me with those trusting eyes, and I thought. “You have nothing to repent of. Certainly God forgives you for anything that you have done.” Her mother stood right behind her, and then I had to give her absolution too. It was in that moment that I realized that the forgiveness I was giving was not mine to withhold. As a pastor, I was giving the forgiveness that I had first received and in whose name I served. Who was I to withhold God’s word of forgiveness and hope for reconciliation?

If Christ could forgive from the cross, then how could I withhold God’s grace and mercy? It changed my feelings toward the whole congregation, and it changed my attitude in ministry.

It has not changed the number of times I have been upset with people in the congregation, nor has it changed the number of times that my feelings have been hurt. I still want to ask with the disciples. “Really? I have to forgive that person too? How many times?”

The answer remains the same. And the keys to the kingdom continue to hang heavy on my belt until I remember that I am passing on what I have already been given.

What a privilege it is then to say those incredible words at the end of corporate confession: “As a called and ordained minister of the church of Christ and by Christ’s authority, I declare to you the entire forgiveness of all of your sins, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” Yes, those are the keys that open the gates renewing and revitalizing our reconciled lives in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment