Thursday, March 8, 2018

Day 20: Thursday, Week 4—Devil’s Lake

Genesis 9:8-17; Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22; Ephesians 1:3-6

The second week in July meant it was time for Mom, my sister and me to go to Devil’s Lake State Park with my aunt and uncle and cousins. In previous years, we had started camping on the weekend. My uncle set the trailer and attached the screened porch, but this year we were leaving in the middle of the week and my uncle wouldn’t be up until Friday.

Arriving at the south end of the lake, we tumbled out to get camp set up. Mom and my aunt kept saying, “That looks good; don’t you think?” They congratulated one another on a job well done.

That night, after supper and a campfire, we packed ourselves into the camper. The girls slept out in the screen porch with the canvas sides up for the night; the boys slept on the floor of the camper; my mom and aunt shared the bed. Around 11:00 it started to rain. By midnight it was pouring.

Somewhere around 2:00 one of the girls woke up and said, “Ma, my bed is getting wet.”

“Roll over and go back to sleep. You’re fine.”

“But I’m getting wet.” she repeated.

Just then the stakes let go. The whole roof fell down and gallons of water poured into their sleeping area. The stakes had not been driven in deep enough and the canvas had not been stretched tight enough. Instead of shedding the rain, many gallons of water had pooled above the girls like a mini-Devil’s Lake.

Outlined by lightning, taunted by thunder, in the midst of the pouring rain, my mom and aunt hammered stakes into the mud and re-secured the tent lines. They raised the canvas roof on slightly bent poles and then stayed up to occasionally push on the center of the roof to push the rain off.

In the morning, as the sun came up over the bluff, a rainbow appeared. “Well,” my aunt said, “The worst is over. No one drowned, and God says it’s going to be a nice day.”

Prayer
Lord, your great bow continues to appear in the sky reminding us of your relationship with us and your care for us amid the seas of Chaos. Thank you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment