Saturday, March 3, 2018

Day 16: Saturday, Week 3—Got a Trumpet in My Bonnet

Exodus 19:16-25; Psalm 19; Mark 9:2-8

My mom, sister and I went to Denmark. After getting settled in with family friends, we decided that in the morning I would get rundstykker (hard rolls) from the bakery. I’d have to leave early because they sold out quickly. In the garage, I was shown a bicycle I could use.

Jet-lagged, I went to bed early. When I woke, the sun was shining. I rushed to get ready and ran to the garage. As I wheeled the bicycle out the side door, I noticed that the big door was open and someone was dinking under the hood of their car.

Thinking it might be a thief, I challenged him with a hello. The man responded, “What are you doing?”

I explained that I was going for rundstykker. He asked how far away I thought the bakery might be. I told him, “About six blocks.”

“Are you our house guest?” he asked.

“Are you Mr. Nelleman?” I asked.

“Call me Bill,” he said smiling.

“I’m Peter.”

 “Do you know it is only three in the morning?”

I had no idea the sun rose so early in Denmark. “No,” I said, “I thought that I was late.

“Even bakeries don’t open this early,” he said. “I think you can probably sleep a little longer.”

At breakfast, several hours later, when we both explained that we thought that the other was a thief, Lasse asked, “Bill, what were you doing in the garage at that hour?”

“Oh, I was just under the bonnet repairing your trumpet.”

No matter what you call it, horn or trumpet, we use it to sound the alarm, give a friendly toot, or improperly, to show displeasure and frustration. Today the trumpet blows as a warning to God’s people, but, not long from now, the trumpets will blow on the third day in celebration of God’s eternal presence with us.

(If the exhaust from your car looks like the smoke from a kiln, see your local mechanic.)

Prayer
Lord, we thank you for caring about our safety and for the horns of alarm, and we thank you also for the joyful sound of horns and trumpets that herald in new times of hope and pleasure. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment