Friday, March 2, 2018

Day 15: Friday, Week 3—Leahy’s

Exodus 19:9-15; Psalm 19; Acts 7:30-40

As I talked with the owner of a car dealership one day while I was getting my car serviced, he asked about my father-in-law, my wife, and my business. Impressed with his interest, I asked, “Do you remember all of your customers that well?”

He said, “Well, this business depends on relationships. It’s really not about selling a car. This business depends on trust and caring. Don’t get me wrong; I’m selling cars, but this business is not about selling a car, it’s about selling cars. I’m happy to sell you your first car, but, when I sell you your first car, I’m hoping that you will buy all of your future cars from me, too. That’s why we have a service department. If we do our job right, then you aren’t going to even think about whether or not you want to buy a particular brand of car; you’re going to want to buy a car from me. My job is to give you the best car I can and keep you happy in that car until you buy the next one. Then the job continues. I depend on repeat business in order to survive. In the meantime, maybe I make some money, and you’re happy to give it to me.”

Trust and relationship is what God is building in this passage. We are reminded of God’s majesty and power to amaze and create, but, more than that, we are reminded that this time is set aside for trusting the leaders God raises up to point to God’s relationship with us. Hearing of God’s activity in our lives, we prepare for meeting God each week in service to God and one another. If our service is good, others won’t question whether or not to be involved with God, but whether they will want to join us in the work God has given us.

Prayer
Lord, we are amazed by your creative power, but have difficulty trusting. Help us discern the leaders you raise up in our midst and then give us confidence to follow in your way. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment